Happy Onam to all readers who celebrate. May there be good health, peace, joy, and plenty in all your homes. Enjoy the day with your loved ones and with an extensive Onam Sadya!
Here is an unusual recipe in time for the Onam Sadya. Pulissery or Moru Kuzhambu is a staple dish in a Malayalee menu. Usually made with vegetables boiled and then simmered in a spicy coconut and curd paste, this Pulissery uses pineapple as the ‘vegetable’. The fruit gives the dish a unique flavour and a welcome tartness. Whether you celebrate Onam or not, this Pulissery will lift your meal to a gourmet level. So go ahead, and cook it up at your homes too.
- Does NOT contain gluten, soya, eggs.
- Contains coconut. People with nut allergy usually tolerate coconut.
- Contains yogurt/curd. Usually tolerated by people with lactose intolerance.
COOKWARE – Small fry pan/tadka pan, mixer grinder, Pressure cooker.
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 cup sour thick curd or 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 red chillies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon powdered jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
For Tempering -
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 7-8 curry leaves, torn up
- Place chopped pineapple, salt, turmeric powder, and jaggery in pressure cooker, add half cup water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Fry 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds and 4 red chillies in 1/4 teaspoon coconut oil. Fry on medium flame until just fragrant. Grind this with fresh grated coconut to smooth paste using water/buttermilk/curd.
- Mix the ground paste, cooked pineapple, curd/buttermilk and stir over medium heat. Remove from flame as soon as the mixture begins to boil. Do not leave it unattended or over high flame.
- Add coconut oil to fry pan, add tempering ingredients to it, and pour sizzling hot over the moru kuzhambu/pulissery. Cover with a tight fitting lid and let the flavours develop.
- Serve with steamed rice and a thoran. Crispy papads are welcome too!