It feels like the worst April ever in my city, unimaginably hot these days. To add to my woes, I suffered a hit in an amusement park that has left me with a broken rib. I expect it should heal in two months. Added to this are children having summer vacations who keep darting in and out of home in between their endless rounds of play – more thirsty than hungry. Finding simple recipes to hydrate the children and the rest of the family while trying to ‘bed-rest’ my broken rib is quite a juggle.
In summer, we are naturally inclined to drinking more fluids to overcome thirst, cool the body and keep us sane! I am experimenting with more smoothies, shakes, juices as tasty ideas to rehydration and energy. This Cantaloupe smoothie is the result of one such experiment. When the fruit is made into a smoothie, it is more refreshing and filling. The well ripened fruit gives the drink an amazing flavour and we do not miss the sugar at all.
- Cantaloupe or Musk Melon, as it is called in India, is more available in summer than other seasons. The melon is very rich in Vitamin A, C, Folate, Niacin, Potassium.
- These vitamins are important during pregnancy, so the fruit is a good choice along with others for a pregnant woman.
- The sweet taste of the melon comes from sugars, so diabetics need to work with your nutritionist to find it’s appropriate use in your diet.
- The fruit’s high moisture content makes it ideal for summers, for rehydration during workouts. The smoothie thus is a very good pre / post workout meal. Made even healthier with addititon of flax powder (Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids) or sabja seeds.
- Skim Milk – 500 ml
- Cantaloupe / Musk Melon – Skinned and chopped – 2 heaped cups
- Honey – 1 tbsp, optional
- Ice cubes – optional
- Wash, skin and deseed the melon.
- Chop it into largish chunks and blend into a smooth puree in the mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, blend again. Pour into a large jug, add the rest of the milk and stir to homogenise. Taste and add honey if needed.
- Chill for half an hour before serving. Serve with ice, if you like!