Ingredients for a salad are never fixed at my home. Assembling a salad is a flexible exercise, often involving the bringing together of whatever is available in the fridge, and finishing it off with a dressing, which is most often a citrus-y one. This salad too was created similarly with foods present at hand. Sweet corn kernels and juicy pomegranate do a pretty tango here, with some worthy add-ons such as red onion and grated carrot thrown in to merrily add to the colour riot. I’ve noticed quite often that my kids need no coaxing to try a salad that is as vibrant in colour as this one.
Apart from being loaded with Beta Carotene from the vegetables and anti oxidants from the fruit, salads help to increase the dietary fibre of our daily meal.
As per the recommendations of the National Institute of Nutrition, an adult person must have 40 gm. of fibre in a day, which includes soluble and insoluble fibre. Dietary fibre is needed for
- Proper bowel function,
- To prevent Haemorrhoids
- To prevent Coronary heart disease
- To control diabetes and obesity
- To reduce plasma cholesterol
- To protect against colon cancer.
Go ahead and make this salad for yourself and share it with me too!
- Sweet corn kernels – 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate pearls – 1/2 cup
- Carrot grated – 1/4 cup
- Roma tomato, diced fine – 1 medium tomato
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Pinch of sugar
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Crushed black pepper – 1/4 tsp OR Green chilli – 1 minced fine
- Red onion, diced fine – 2 level tbsp
- Steam the sweet corn kernels for 2 minutes in the microwave at high power. Set aside.
- Remove the pomegranate pearls from the fruit, keep aside.
- Combine all ingredients for dressing, mix well with a fork.
- Bring all ingredients for salad together, toss well with the dressing.
- Chill for half an hour in the fridge in a covered bowl.
- Serve along with warm pulkas or freshly grilled garlic bread or as a side with tadka dal and steamed rice.